Opposition raise fears of plan to scuttle 2027 election

National
By Ndungu Gachane | Jul 03, 2025

Advisor Moses Kuria speaks as Deputy President Kithure Kindiki opened Kisumu West Huduma Centre at Ojola in Kisumu. [Michael Mute, Standard]

Are Kenyans ready for the much-anticipated 2027 elections? There is growing anxiety that some powerful forces are acting behind the scenes to plant hurdles that may impede the next General Election.

Remarks by President William Ruto's senior economic advisor, Moses Kuria, that there will be no election in 2027 have elicited concerns from opposition leaders and constitutional experts.

For the second time, Kuria has maintained that legal challenges facing the reconstitution of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) could make it impossible to hold an election in 2027.

"The swearing in of IEBC Commissioners has been stopped by the court. In another 39 days, we will start the 24-month countdown to the 2027 elections. Johann Kriegler of (Kriegler commission told us that there cannot be a free and fair election if we don't have a Commission two years before the election. Going by our litigious nature, this case will go all the way to the Supreme Court. It may go on till September 2027. So the current administration will continue being in office in the absence of an election," Kuria posted on social media.

And in an interview with Citizen TV last week, Kuria said, "There will not be an election in 2027 for a presidential contest", saying instead some elders will sit and decide.

Kuria added: "There is going to be so much consensus in the country, wazee wataketi chini (elders will sit down). They say we have two options: go the Rwanda way, destroy the nation the Rwanda way or let's agree, let there be honour among... I don't want to say thieves... let there be honour among men and women because the alternative will be too dire to fathom, so people will agree on consensus."

Kuria's remarks came two weeks after the President declared that he would not hand over power to a bitter and disorganised opposition, raising eyebrows about the government's intentions on the 2027 polls.

While announcing Lugari, Kakamega County, Ruto claimed opposition leaders had no plan for the country's progress beyond promoting tribalism.

Government supporters led by Kapsaret MP Oscar Sudi and William Kamket (Tiaty) also made remarks about the 2027 elections, stating it was a must for Ruto to remain in power for two terms.

"Hii Kenya hakuna rais ameenda kwa miaka tano. Kwani huyu ndio atakua wa kwanza, kama tunafanya nini, kama tunalala wapi? kwani hii Kenya ni yenu (In Kenya, no President has served for one term. How can he (Ruto) be the first? What would we be doing? Where will we be sleeping? Let me tell you, Ruto is going nowhere... Even if the votes don't add up, we will fill them up," Sudi said.

On January 5, Kamket said: "If they joke, you know I come from the county of 24 years. Baringo County, we have known for about 24 years; we know how to manufacture a president to survive for 24 years. If they joke, we can tell you to extend past the two terms," he said.

Opposition leaders led by former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua and Wiper party leader Kalonzo Musyoka have criticised the remarks by government allies, terming them reckless and a buildup of their plans to remain in power regardless of the 2027 election results.

"What knowledge is Kuria relying on to claim that there will be no election? This is someone who must be called out directly. If he knows there will be a problem in this country, let him come out and say it," Kalonzo said.

He accused Kuria of stoking public fear and attempting to lay the groundwork for unconstitutional extensions of power. "Kenyans have decided that this shenanigan about stolen elections must come to an end. There will be elections under the Constitution by 2027 or even before if William Ruto steps aside."

Gachagua claimed the delays of the IEBC reconstitution were a part of a plot to rig the 2027 elections in favour of Ruto. "We appeal to the intentional community to pile pressure on Ruto and the Kenyan government so that the IEBC is reconstituted. The remarks by Ruto's allies are worrying," he said.

Lawyer Paul Ogamba said there was no constitutional provision for delaying the polls, saying such a move could contribute to a political crisis. "There is no constitutional provision that warrants extension of the tenure of the Presidency, and such a move could lead to a major political showdown and legal battles," added Ogamba.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS